Chromebooks

*nix OS discussion, Android, Ubuntu, GenToo, BSD, etc
Rajah

Chromebooks

Post by Rajah » Sun Mar 25, 2018 8:46 am

I am putting this here since, strictly speaking, chrome OS is Linux at heart. At present, I have two Chromebooks.

The first one I got was a refurbished HiSense, the Best Buy house brand. It cost me $89. I got it just to see what the Chromebook was all about since some of my grandchildren have them from their schools. I actually like this little (11.6 inch screen) laptop a lot within it's limitations. It is so small and light that it is the one I usually take with me to meetings. The battery lasts all day, too. Since a lot of my needs are met simply by web browsing and Google Docs, it is very handy.

It also has proven to be durable, even with some mistreatment. As I was leaving one meeting, I had several things in my hands and put the laptop on the roof of the car while I put the other things in the car. I left the laptop on the roof... When I got home, I asked my wife, who was at the meeting, too, if she had the laptop. Nope. :( Since I could not locate it, I assumed it was lost and immediately changed my password for my Google account and basically wrote it off. Oh, well, for $89 it's not that big a loss.

At 0530 the next morning, the phone rang. It was the city police asking if I was "Rajah" and had I lost a laptop? A lady out for a very early morning jog had found it at a certain corner laying by the curb and flagged down a patrol car. My login is my name and I'm in the phone book. The cop brought it over to the house and, other than some scratches, it works fine! If it had been my Core i7 laptop, a bus would have smashed it, I'm sure.

The newer "refurbished" ChromeBook is a Lenovo ThinkPad X131e Chromebook identical to what one of my granddaughters had in school and is now using in College. It is a similar screen size, but has twice the RAM, more ports and is about twice the weight, but still small and convenient. I like that it has the ability to easily do a right-click of the pointer and a delete key in addition to the backspace. I paid $110 for this one. It now resides by our breakfast bar so I can check email while eating breakfast. UPDATE: Found a bargain on this one at newegghttps://www.newegg.com/Product/Product. ... 6834332945

One of my grandsons has an ASUS chromebook that converts to a tablet, too. When I asked what kind of computer he would like to replace an old Windows laptop, he immediately said, "Chromebook" so that's what I got him. It's been a year and he still loves it.

So there is my Chromebook story. If all you need is to use a browser and don't want to spend a lot on a computer, take a look at Chromebooks.